Subject: RE: Talk to the modem
To: None <murray@gem.com.au>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/23/1999 08:34:27
Murray Armfield <murray@gem.com.au> wrote...

> I think that NetBSD 1.3.2 requires com3 devices to use irq 5.

I don't think that's right.  NetBSD requires that you use the correct
IRQ, the one your COM device hardware is set-up to use, and/or one which
isn't used by another device.  For instance, if you've got a
jumper-configured modem set-up to use port 0x2E8 and IRQ 10, you can
make a line in your kernel conf file like this:

   com3 at isa? port 0x2e8 irq 10

and NetBSD will use the device.

> I tried using com3, irq3 and it didn't like it.

Was that the IRQ your COM device hardware was set-up to use?  Was it the
only hardware device using that IRQ?  NetBSD will "like it" if you've
got an agreement between the IRQ you tell it to use, and the one in use
by the hardware.  IRQ3 is the default used by the com1 (COM2:  in DOS)
device.  Even if you disable it in the BIOS, you may have trouble using
its IRQ.

> Also a limit of two com port devices

That's not right.  I've always had three or four in use (a serial mouse
on com0, a laser printer on com1, an internal modem on com2, and a
serial port card, for logging in if X freezes, on com3.

-Alex (:-)
 rbaxte03@harris.com