Subject: Why login behaves different from gety and a session?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <bernd@mycity.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/1999 22:17:48
Hi all!

I have setup a user to retrive and send mails to my provider using pppd.

If I login from the login-prompt it works perfectly open the connection
exchange mails in the queue and terminate the connection. But when I
login from an unprivilegd user "% login mailserever", the connection
stay open until I login as root and kill pppd. What makes the different
here?

I know that pppd uses the first free ppp-line, but I use only one
connection at a time, so I should get allways ppp0 and there is no risk
to kill the wrong pppd. Yes I should make an ip-up script to note the
interface name for closing the connection.

FYI: I append the scripts and /etc/passwd parts.

/home/mailserever/.profile:

/home/mailserever/mailio:

/etc/passwd:

/etc/group: