Subject: Re: Running NetBSD from a NT drive
To: Thomas Page <ThomasP@cat.co.za>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/22/1999 11:28:03
On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Thomas Page wrote:

> I've learnt some BSD at work the last few months, now I want to do some
> (real) work at home. My NT machine has 4 1G partitions, the last as yet
> unused. Can I install and run NetBSD from there, with some sort of
> statup option (as DOS is allowed)?
yes.  You'll need to change the partition type to NetBSD.

read
ftp ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/i386/README.first
and
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/i386/INSTALL.html

But the basic step will be to get pfdisk from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.4/i386/installation/misc
to change the partition type.

then follow install docs.

From the main NetBSD page (www.netbsd.org), go to the Documentation link
and there is a FAQ telling how to put NetBSD in the WinNT startup os
selection screen.

> Lastly, how will NT see/react
> to this drive, and will I be able to copy to/from the other drives, no
> matter which OS is running? I did not install NT with the NTFS.
don't know about NT seeing the NetBSD partition, but NetBSD can see the NT
partitions.

man mount
man mount_msdos

-Dan