Subject: Re: Need a modem Used to be ( Need some help with modems and tty's
To: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1999 15:33:50
On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Al Urbaitis wrote:

> I recompiled and installed the kernel...
> I took a look at dmesg and noted that it came up at comm3 ... IRQ 3
> So I went to the dev file and did a ./MAKEDEV tty3
> and then commented /dev/tty3 out in /etc/ttys.
> Next I tried talking to the modem with a
>
> cu -s 57600 -l /dev/tty03
> It said "Connected"
>
> I tried typing AT
> and got a "Communication error"
> and it exited....

Make a file /etc/uucp/port, e.g.:

type modem
port modem
device /dev/tty03
speed 57600

That means that the default type for all devices is modem, and also
sets the device and type for port "modem".

Now type "cu -p modem". The "type modem" is the secret to setting the
clocal bit. This is necessary because "cu" wasn't originally intended
to be a utility for talking to raw devices, as "chat" is.