Subject: Re: Need a modem Used to be ( Need some help with modems and tty's )
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1999 01:33:39
David Maxwell wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 10:10:15AM -0600, Al Urbaitis wrote:
> > Hi Dave
> >
> > David Maxwell wrote:
> >
> > > The Makefile instruction was 1.4 specific. go to your kernel
> > > compile directory, and rm com_isapnp.o, then make depend && make
> >
> > Should I leave the line in com_isapnp.c where it is ?
> > (The line I added that matched the text string from the probe)
>
> Yup, no need to move that file.
>
> > > That modem should work okay.

I recompiled and installed the kernel...
I took a look at dmesg and noted that it came up at comm3 ... IRQ 3
So I went to the dev file and did a ./MAKEDEV tty3
and then commented /dev/tty3 out in /etc/ttys.
Next I tried talking to the modem with a

cu -s 57600 -l /dev/tty03
It said "Connected"

I tried typing AT
and got a "Communication error"
and it exited....

I was back at the prompt.

Is there any other way to talk to the modem.

I would send a complete dmesg and the screen dialogue
but for some reason I can no longer write to my MSDOS partition
I can read all the old stuff but anything new causes the
machine to hang and forces me to cycle power...

Al