Subject: Re: Need some help with modems and tty's
To: None <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/16/1999 08:29:08
Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com> wrote...

> I am putting 1.3.2 together and have come across a few items "I should
> have learned in school had I been paying attention"
>
> 1.  I have a legacy modem in this machine, occupying an isa slot.  I
>     would like to use this setup to connect to another NetBSD machine.
>
> dmesg is as follows...

> isa0 at pcib0
> com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ns16550a, working fifo
> com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ns16550a, working fifo
> com2 at isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 5: ns16550a, working fifo
> lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378-0x37b irq 7

> isapnp0 at isa0 port 0x279: read port 0x203
> sb1 at isapnp0 port 0x220/16,0x330/2,0x388/4 irq 5 drq 1,5
> sb1: Creative SB16 PnP Audio: dsp v4.13
> audio0 at sb1

> It looks like the modem is occupying the same irq as com1.  The port
> appears to be different.  Can these two devices "share" this interrupt
> ?

It doesn't look like that to me.  It looks like com2 is using IRQ5, com1
is using IRQ3, and com0 is using IRQ4.  Isn't your modem com2 (COM3:  in
DOS)?  It looks to me like your PNP BIOS has assigned IRQ5 to your
SoundBlaster, though.  You could probably fix that by marking IRQ5 as
"in use" in your BIOS SETUP.  You may then need to remove the
SoundBlaster, turn your computer on and off, and put the SoundBlaster
back in.  Or you could try moving it to another free slot.

> After whatever seems to be necessary here I believe I need to get one
> of the ttys to interact with this device.  How is that done ?

In /dev, you will have devices tty00 and tty01, which interact with com0
and com1 (which would be COM1:  and COM2:  in DOS).  If you execute
these commands:

   cd /dev
   ./MAKEDEV tty2

it will create tty02 (which interacts with com2 (which is COM3:  in DOS)
) for you.  Note that if you type:

   ./MAKEDEV tty02

it won't work correctly.

-Alex (:-)