Subject: Re: Need some help with modems and tty's
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Al Urbaitis <aurbaiti@servecom.picker.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/15/1999 21:37:34
David Maxwell wrote:

> > I am putting 1.3.2 together and have come across
> > a few items "I should have learned in school had I been paying attention"
>
> 1.3.2? Any particular reason not 1.3.3, or 1.4 ?
It's just that I have the CD handy :)
(I have to take this box to work to do anything else)

Snip snip...

> Well, firstly, you have 3 com ports, and com2 (DOS- > COM3) is on
> 3e8/irq 5, which is more like an isa serial card or internal modem
> ... what is it in this machine?

Internal modem, In DOS it shows up on com3

> >From the not-configured line, it looks like the 'BRI1500' is
> not being recognized. It could be that that product code is
> unknown, but first tell me if these lines were uncommented in
> your 'rebellion' kernel config:
The Serial section of the conf file looks like this..
# Serial Devices

# PCI serial interfaces
cy*	at pci? dev ? function ?	# Cyclades Cyclom-Y serial boards

# ISA Plug-and-Play serial interfaces
com*	at isapnp?			# Modems and serial boards

# PCMCIA serial interfaces
com*	at pcmcia? function ?		# Modems and serial cards

# ISA serial interfaces
#options 	COM_HAYESP		# adds Hayes ESP serial board support
com0	at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4	# Standard PC serial ports
com1	at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3
com2	at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5
#com3	at isa? port 0x2e8 irq 9
#ast0	at isa? port 0x1a0 irq 5	# AST 4-port serial cards
#com*	at ast? slave ?
#boca0	at isa? port 0x100 irq 5	# BOCA 8-port serial cards
#com*	at boca? slave ?
#rtfps0	at isa? port 0x1230 irq 10	# RT 4-port serial cards
#com*	at rtfps? slave ?
#cy0	at isa? iomem 0xd4000 irq 12	# Cyclades serial cards

If the modem is not recognized as it is then what would be a reasonable approach ?
1. I am guessing that this is an old sportster...
2. Is there another way to tell NetBSD how to treat the device ?

al