Subject: Re: Problems with S3-968 based video card on 1.4...
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/1999 13:11:44
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 09:05:55AM -0500, Brian Stark wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After upgrading to NetBSD 1.4 (and switching to the version of XFree86
> > that comes with NetBSD) I have noticed some strange new behavior with my
> > Number Nine Motion 771 (S3-968 based) video card.
>
> What X server are you using ? XF86_SVGA or XF86_S3 (or S3V) ?
> If it's the SVGA try to switch to the S3 one, it helped for me.

Hello Manuel,

I am using XF86_S3. I was using XFree86 3.3.3.1 with NetBSD 1.3.3 and
did not have this problem. When I upgraded to 1.4, I decided to use
the version of XFree86 (should be 3.3.3.1 also, right?) that came with
NetBSD.

I think I will try installing the non-NetBSD version of XFree86 to see if
somehow the operating system is affecting this. I think if I still have
the problem it would indicate something with the operating system is
causing the problem I am seeing. If I do not see the problem, then I think
there must be something about the way the XF86_S3 server was compiled that
is causing this. In any case, compiling XFree86 is a very time-consuming
process on my 166MHz Pentium, so I will try to report my results tomorrow.

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |