Subject: Re: amap corrupt panic?
To: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/1999 20:37:11
On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 08:09:26AM -0400, Robert Alexander Baxter wrote:
> David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca> wrote...
> >
> >As a further datapoint, the machine has paniced twice more,
> >with different panics, uvm_fault, and pmap-something.

> >cc1 also gets a lot of SEGVs. I'm going to try the hd in
> >another machine to see if the problem moves or stays.
> >

> I had problems like that on a Pentium computer into which I
> inserted a cache module.  No task which was more than basic
> would finish without some fault, panic, etc.  For example,
> installing, or compiling, as you've listed.

Indeed, we tested the machine by swapping out portions of
the RAM, with no effect. Disabling the external cache did
the trick. On that motherboard, the cache seems to be soldered,
so it'll be an MB replacement for my friend I think. We're
going to test the CPU, RAM, and cards on another MB first
to be sure though.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me