Subject: sysinst and /etc/fstab
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/01/1999 10:40:11
Hello,

Last night I attempted to upgrade a 1.3.3 system to 1.4 and in the install
notes for the i386 platform I noticed a comment that sysinst will process
files on disks wd0 and wd1 (i.e., disks wd2 and higher won't work...).

Before the upgrade I removed the power cable to my wd2 disk and
disconnected the disk cable. However, during the upgrade process sysinst
went through my /etc/fstab and ran fsck for the file systems it found.
When it got to the file system that is located on my wd2 disk I saw the
message:

  It appears that wd2h is not a BSD file system or fsck was not
  successful. The upgrade has been aborted. (Error number -1)

I then rebooted the machine without the 1.4 boot disk and modified
/etc/fstab to include "noauto" for the file system on disk wd2. Again
during the upgrade process I got the same error message.

Since sysinst is looping through the /etc/fstab file, why doesn't it pay
attention to the "noauto" keyword? In order to get around this problem I
had to remove the line in my /etc/fstab file for the file system located
on disk wd2. It would be really nice if the only change necessary to
/etc/fstab would have been to add the "noauto" keyword.

Comments?

Brian

| Brian Stark                       | Internet : bstark@siemens-psc.com |
| Siemens PT&D, LLC                 | Voice    : +1 612 536-4697        |
| Power Systems Control Division    | Fax      : +1 612 536-4919        |
| 7225 Northland Drive, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota 55428   USA            |