Subject: Re: Disk not detected correctly
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org, rich@mondial.com.au>
From: Robert Alexander Baxter <rbaxte03@harris.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/1999 15:45:01
Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au> wrote:

> I have an old 486 sitting here, and I have just installed  a new
> 6.4Gb disk.
>
> On boot, NetBSD says this:
>
> [...]
> wd1 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 1: <FUJITSU MPC3064AT>
> wd1: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
> wd1: 2014MB, 4092 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4124736
> sectors
> wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, UDMA mode 2
> [...]
>
> The sheet that came with the drive says this
> 13410 Cyl, 15 Heads, 63 sectors in CHS mode (!)

I had a 486, and had to add a new IDE controller to make a new, 4.5GB
hard disk work correctly.  I used an ISA card, made by Promise
Technology (www.promise.com), which I think was called an EIDEMAX, to do
this.  The card adds another IDE connector inside your computer, and it
has a BIOS on it which replaces the IDE part of your motherboard BIOS.
It also has a modern EIDE controller which supports LS-120, ATAPI, etc.
devices.  I seem to remember it was around $20.  I think they have a
card which just replaces the IDE part of the BIOS, and doesn't actually
have a replacement IDE controller on it, for even less.  I think your
best bet is to get the one with the replacement IDE controller on it,
though.

-Alex (:-)
 rbaxte03@harris.com