Subject: Disk not detected correctly
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/26/1999 12:12:22
I have an old 486 sitting here, and I have just installed  a new 6.4Gb disk.

On boot, NetBSD says this:

[...]
wd1 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 1: <FUJITSU MPC3064AT>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
wd1: 2014MB, 4092 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 4124736 sectors
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, UDMA mode 2
[...]

The sheet that came with the drive says this
13410 Cyl, 15 Heads, 63 sectors in CHS mode (!)

I have been trying to tell it that this is in fact a 6.4Gb drive, but all
attempts at writing a new disklabel have resulted in messages like this:

wd1a:  id not found reading fsbn 12284052 of 12284052-12284054 (wd1 bn
12284115; cn 12999 tn 0 sn 60)

I have even tried setting the no. of sectors down much lower than they
actually are, and keep getting the same errors.

Am I just out of luck with this dinosaur PC and spanking new drive,
or can I convince the OS to let me use the other 4Gb of the disk?

The kernel is currently 1.3I

I'm afraid my limited understanding of disklabel / newfs are hindering
me a little here.

TIA.

-Rich.