Subject: filesystem layout and disk labeling
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Lazaro Daniel Salem <SALEM@statoil.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/12/1999 11:54:10
First of my disclaimer. I have read:
- the Install notes,
- manual pages for disklabel(8) and diskpart(8)
- the Real *BSD  FAQ in the documentaion page of NetBSD.org
- the SMM 1: Installing BSD4.4

Background:
I have run NetBSD/hp300 since 1.3 on a diskless hp425t.
I have recently attached a SCSI-2 (Micropolis 2112-15) +1001MB disk
to this box AND succesfully installed NetBSD 1.3.3 on it.
Now I want to optimize the file system layout for this host to
act as a NFS/SAMBA file server to diskless Win and Linux boxes.

So my 1st question is:
Can I decide what the size of the "d", "e", "f", "g" and "h" partitions
(yes I know a is root, b is swap and c is whole disk ALWAYS).
or should be a relation between the sizes of those as suggested
in all the entries in /etc/disktab ?.
All disktab entries for SCSI are such pb+pg=pd+ph  and ph = pe+pf .

And my second question:
Why does "diskpart -t yourbogusdisk ... " generates a disktab
that is different from the entries in /etc/disktab even when you
specify the same parameteres (ns, nt, nc) as in the disktab entry?
I get now that pg=pd+pe+pf  instead of the relations in /etc/disktab.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Lazaro