Subject: Re: Packages and PKGSRC
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 04/01/1999 15:00:50
On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 01:11:38PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Read through the patches yourself and see why they are there. I think
> you'll find that even standards conforming code will have issues in
> many cases. There is also lots of code that can't only use standards
> conforming interfaces -- for example, where in POSIX is the way to
> play an audio CD described?
>
> The patches will be there forever.

Some patches will be there "forever" if the maintainer of the original
software don't incorporate them into the base package.

Other patches are there to change the default installation into
/usr/pkg instead of e.g. /usr/local. These patches are inherently
part of the pkg collection and WILL be there "forever".

Many patches will however go away if the original packages are
updated accordingly.

- Erik