Subject: Re: Packages and PKGSRC
To: None <justin@theprovider.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/1999 13:11:38
justin@theprovider.com writes:
> 	If NetBSD is aiming towards BSD and POSIX standards, why do so
> many of the packages in pkgsrc have patches in their directories? Is it
> that the programmers are so absent minded that they could give a damn
> about who compiles it as long as it compiles on the machine they are
> working on?

Read through the patches yourself and see why they are there. I think
you'll find that even standards conforming code will have issues in
many cases. There is also lots of code that can't only use standards
conforming interfaces -- for example, where in POSIX is the way to
play an audio CD described?

The patches will be there forever.

.pm