Subject: Re: Trouble installing i386
To: Peter Dell <ptd@omen.net.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/1999 21:36:04
On Sun, Mar 28, 1999 at 12:36:36PM +0800, Peter Dell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having a problem installing 1.3.3 on an NEC PowerMate 386.  The boot
> disk loads okay and i see various device information scroll past, until it
> gets to the line (roughly) :
>
>   Root file system of type: fss
>
> machine info:
> CPU: 386/20, with a 387/20 fpu
> HDD: NEC D5662 (this an esdi disk, about 380Mb)
> RAM: 4Mb (using a special expansion card thing that all powermates have)
> VGA: Video 7
> FDD: 3.5" and 5.25"
>
> pretty much configured as it would have shipped in 1988, i guess.

Did you use the normal, 1.44 Mb boot.fs, or the "small" one (1.2 Mb, I don't
remember the exact name).
The floppy includes a ramdisk which eats some RAM, and it's been proven that
4Mb is not enouth for the 1.44Mb floppy. The small floppy (which has a trimmed
down kernel with less drivers) should work.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>