Subject: Re: Netserver E50 reboots with install floppy
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/24/1999 14:43:36
On Wed, Mar 24, 1999 at 10:46:59AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca> writes:
> > This disk behaves just like boot1.fs did, 'read data: Input/output error' at
> > about the same point in the boot process.
>
> Well, we have at least hit a decent spot for debugging.
>
> Can you write down exactly how far it gets (i.e. all messages) and

This is from the -current boot disk David Brownlee put up for me...
I'll annotate in [].

[about two disk seeks, then normal header...]
>> NetBSD/i386 BIOS Boot, Revision 2.6
>> (root@lethe.anim.dreamworks.com, Tue Mar 23 06:23:43 PST 1999)
>> Memory: 639/130048 k
Use hd1a:netbsd to boot sd0 when wd0 is also installed
Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
Booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 0
[counts down from 5, then on the line immediately below,]
1486848
[followed by spinner /-\-, eventually ending with a +, line is now]
1486848+1695744
[followed by spinner /-\-, eventually the spinner stops on \, with
the cursor sitting on the \. After about 4 seconds, the line
becomes]
1486848+1695744read data: Input/output error
[the cursor moves to the first column of the next line down,
waits about 10 seconds, then the machine reboots. The \ is
overwritten by the 'r' in read.]

Note that the tinyboot from the 3-15-99 snap boots into sysinst
without this error. No 2940 support though :-(

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,