Subject: Re: Netserver E50 reboots with install floppy
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/23/1999 16:52:26
On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 01:06:15PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca> writes:
> > Anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Try -current. There is a snapshot of one that's very recent up on the
> FTP site.
>
> It isn't that I believe current will fix your problem, but that it
> will make the problem easier to start attacking, given that 1.4 is
> just around the corner and we likely won't be releasing a 1.3.4 and
> the current boot blocks are very different from those in 1.3.3
>
> Perry

Well, half effective...

boot-tiny will indeed boot the machine into sysinst, no more reboot.
However, boot-tiny doesn't recognize the 2940i and thus no HD to
install onto :-)

I'm not sure of the process for using the boot1.fs and boot2.fs,
when I boot the boot1.fs disk, after a bit (after the first two
segment size numbers) it says 'read error: Input/output error'.
Then it waits about 10s and then reboots.

Are boot1 and boot2 meant to be used in some magical way I don't
know the secret for?

Obviously with boot-tiny working, I could install an ide disk,
configure the kernel for SCSI support, label and newfs the scsi
drive and then remove the IDE, but that's not practical for most
people (and it's at least 'inconvienient' for me :-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,