Subject: Device driver compatibility question
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Trevin Beattie <trevin@xmission.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/23/1999 05:43:39
I'm about to buy a new computer system, and I'm having trouble deciding
which sound card to get for it: the Sound Blaster AWE64, or Sound Blaster
Live!.  The AWE64 is 100% SB16 and AWE32 compatible, but runs on ISA (and I
actually have no idea whether this means it has worse performance than an
equivalent PCI card or not), and I heard from my local dealer that Creative
Labs is no longer making this card.  The Live! purports to be compatible
with SB PCI (whatever that means), but only "near-perfect" SB16
compatibility, and I haven't been able to find out whether this is done
through firmware or software.

So it boils down to this: Are any of the Sound Blaster PCI cards compatible
with NetBSD's existing sb driver?

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,
trevin@xmission.com     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown