Subject: Re: Want to use 3c905b NIC
To: Tom Trebisky <tom@kofa.as.arizona.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/23/1999 10:47:17
On Mar 22, Tom Trebisky wrote
> Hello all,
>
> I am just upgrading my system from 1.3.2 to 1.3.3 (I needed to install
> a bigger hard drive and it seemed like a great time to upgrade the OS).
> Since I have a 3Com etherlink XL 3c905B card in hand, and a 100 Mhz net
> to hook up to, it would be nice to run that card also.
>
> I see that there is a driver from Mr. Van der Linden in -current now,
> should I just try to patch it into the 1.3.3 sources or is this a
> tricky job?
>
> It seems that I have several options:
>
> 1) find out if there is an easy way to get this thing working with
> 1.3.3
>
>     (I don't see elinkxl.c in /usr/src/sys/dev/ic)

No, you really need the ex driver.

> 2) go thru whatever business is necessary to get the -current driver
> to work with 1.3.3.

Not an easy part. You need the driver and some changes to other parts of
the kernel (bus_dma, mii at last). I think someone already done the job,
but I'm not sure. Take a look at the mailing-list archives
(http://mail-index.netbsd.org).

> 3) just run -current (I've never done this and don't really want to get
> into this just now, but perhaps it is the best option).

You can just install the last snapshot. Not much harder than installing
a release. I didn't hear of major problems with current in the last days.