Subject: uk0, scsi, cdrecord, and sparc
To: <>
From: John P. Refling <nbsdnh@earth.lbl.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/1999 16:22:26
----------

I've been trying t install cdrecord on the sparc and have had
problems.  I installed it on the i386 and things went well.
They might be different versions (the sparc is not listed as having
a precompiled version in the packages listing on the web, though
I got one from somewhere at netbsd.org.

Anyway, when I boot up the i386, the cdr device is listed a uk0.
I then make a link from /dev/uk0 to /dev/scgx and things work fine.

On the sparc, the same cdr device is probed at boot time (LUNs
are listed, etc) but I can't see a device (like uk0 or cd0, etc)
assigned.

Looking in the kernel configuration, I don't see any uk? devices
in the generic sparc kernel.  I added the same line as in the i386
uk? at scsibus?  etc...etc...
and the kernel compiles, but gives a "bad format" message at boot.

Should this not work?   If not can anybody tell me what I'm doing
wrong?

One last question: how can one make a backup copy of a cdrom
directly from the cdrom (without making an isoimage, etc)

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.