Subject: Re: Reading a Solaris SPARC V2.6 tar tape on a NetBSD 1.3.3/i386 box
To: Roger Brooks <R.S.Brooks@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@orac.ece.utexas.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/09/1999 12:30:06
On Tue, Mar 09, 1999 at 05:52:34PM +0000, Roger Brooks wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Scott R. Burns wrote:
>
> >I have a DDS-2 DAT tape created on a Solaris V2.6.x box using a Sun DAT drive using Sun's tar. I am using:
> >chio move slot 5 drive 0
> >mt rewind
>
> Are you waiting for the drive to come ready at this point?  I'm not too sure
> about DAT, but with an Exabyte you have to wait until the tape has loaded.

  I know for a fact that this is also an issue for (at least
some) DAT drives.  In particular, whenever I put in the second
tape for a multivolume dump, I wait 60 seconds before typing
"yes" to "is the next tape mounted" prompt.

  Would it be possible to add functionality to dump so that it
waits for perhaps 60 seconds of no-media errors before it
_really_ gives up?  Or are those errors too far down in the driver?
(I know next to nothing about SCSI.)

  Brian