Subject: Re: sup
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/1999 17:26:47
Zach Fine wrote:

>     Brad> At 4:54 PM +0000 2/24/99, Patrick Welche wrote:
>     >>>
>     >>> fredfl2: /home/fredfl2 # sup -a supfile SUP 8.26 (4.3 BSD) for
>     >>> file supfile at Feb 24 23:09:03 SUP: Can't find my host entry
>     >>  That often means that your hostname isn't set. Try hostname
>     >> [name-of-host] and maybe create /etc/myname containing it for
>     >> next reboot.
>     >>

> It's always bugged me that instructions for setting up networking
> invariably ask users to reboot their machine. AFAIK this is completely
> unnecesary for NetBSD, all that needs to be done is to take one's
> machine off the network and then run 'sh /etc/netstart' again.  Maybe
> it would be worthwhile to develop a /etc/netstop script to make the
> process easier.

Not even: I guess I didn't word things properly.

hostname [name-of-host]

was all that was needed. The bit about rebooting, is like today, next time
you have a power cut thanks to Eastern Electricity, apart from having to
replace a 6 port optic fibre hub, you will need to type
"hostname [name-of-host]" again. Whereas if you create a file called
/etc/myname containing "[name-of-host]" (no square brackets, quotes etc.
necessary...), you never have to type "hostname blabla.foo" again. You don't
*have* to reboot anything. As you say, this is a real OS.

Cheers,

Patrick