Subject: Re: replacing chat
To: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/1999 07:46:37
Zach Fine wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in setting up something other than a chat script
> to start a ppp connection?
>

> So I'm wondering how difficult it would be to replace my chat script
> with something that uses say, perl and expect? Should my script use
> STDIN and STDOUT or is there some socket I'd have to open in order to
> communicate with the remote system. I don't know where chat sends its
> output.
>
> Someone out there must have already accomplished this or a similar
> task.

Zack,
	For the same situation, (SecureID one-time challenge cards)
I hacked on something called "dip," to accept input from the keyboard.
Dip normally uses slip, but it can be configured to use pppd - it's worked
well for me for a couple of years.  Though, I do wish there was a more
"chat" like solution.  Let me know if you'd like me to pack up the source.

	- Scott Presnell (srp@zgi.com)

% dip -h

DIP: Dialup IP Protocol Driver
Original idea & source:  Fred N. van Kempen, MicroWalt Corporation
NetBSD implementation :  Joachim Bartz    v1.02  (1. July 1995)

Usage: dip -i [-v]   or   diplogin [-v]
       dip -k [-v] [-f file]
       dip -t [-v] [-c count] [-f file]
       dip script.dip [-v] [-d] [-c count] [-f file] [-m mtu]
           [-p proto] [-s /setup]

Flags: -c count   Set startup time limit to count.
       -d         Debug mode. Includes verbose mode!
       -f file    File containing the pid for later -kill.
       -h         Show these hints.
       -i         Use DIP in dial-in server mode.
       -k         Kill the specified DIP protocol server.
       -m mtu     Mtu to use as default.
       -p proto   Protcol to use as default.
       -s /setup  Shellscript to complete protocol server setup.
       -t         Test mode. Give commands by stdin.
       -v         Verbose mode. See debug mode also!