Subject: SVR4 emulation
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Paulo Alexandre Pinto Pires <pappires@phoenix.del.ufrj.br>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/1999 03:11:14
Hello to all.

I am having problems to get SVR4 (Solaris, actually) to work OK
under NetBSD/sparc.  All programs that do any kind of access to
IP networking fail.  I tried Netscape, and Solaris 2.5.1 native
telnet, ftp, ping and nslookup (thus using TCP, ICMP and UDP),
and none of them did work.

I'm currently running -current as of the first week of February
on this machine, and using dynamic libraries from the Solaris
2.5.1 CD.  Some other programs that won't do networking run fine
(sh, for example), and I followed the instructions shown in
compat_svr4(8) strictly.

I miss a good web browser on this machine, and that's why I'd
like to run Netscape for Solaris on it.  Is it possible that
those programs above listed use any of the (not-yet-)supported
SVR4 features.  Does anybody have a clue that can help get it
running?

[I thought of sending this to port-sparc but, beside my not
being in that list, it's possible that somebody has a good
SVR4 emulation for another architecture, in a way that would
be useful for Sparc too.]

---
	Pappires