Subject: Re: sup
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/26/1999 06:00:28
Hi,

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Zach Fine wrote:
>
> > It's nice to be able to change all sorts of system settings without
> > rebooting. It's one of the nicer things about using NetBSD instead of
> > Windows or MacOS. A first-time user who sets up her NetBSD box and
> > encounters instructions like--
> >
> >     5.The final step is to reboot your machine to allow the changes to
> >     take effect.
> >
> >     (from the very useful document:
> >     http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/howtos/net-howto.html#sec2)
> >
> > --might not find out for a long time that this step was unnecessary.

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing. My HOW-TO is written for
novices.  If you understan networking and UNIX, then you do not need my
HOW-TO and you probably already know that you do not need to reboot.
However, novices will probably not know what they need to do in order to
avoid rebooting.  Rebooting works 100% of the time. For novices, I would
rather give them advice that will always work.  It saves them asking me
more questions directly.

> 	It would probably be a good idea to add a note to that doc to
> 	indicate that its not always necessary :)

I'll consider it.

   Mark Andres               E-mail: mark@giganet.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
   Me & NetBSD: http://www2.giganet.net/~mark/NetBSD/