Subject: Re: Need with help with printer...
To: Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/19/1999 18:06:50
Brian Stark <bstark@siemens-psc.com> writes:
> I'm running 1.3.3/i386 and I am seeing the following message from the
> kernel each time I try to print to a HP LaserJet 5L:
>
>   Feb 19 00:09:04 raisin /netbsd: lpt0: offline
>
> What is causing this to come out?

The kernel is detecting that a line on the connector to the printer is
asserting the printer is in an offline state. Why? Who knows.

> The printer is turned on, and is in the online mode.

Check the connectors. I'm not sure exactly what else I can suggest
right now. The driver is fairly simpleminded -- you could have a look
through it to understand what it expects.

Perry