Subject: Re: boot.fs.gz w/ GENERIC
To: <>
From: Linus Nordberg <linus.nordberg@canit.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/15/1999 22:30:15
that has been posted to comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc as well.

Linus Nordberg <linus.nordberg@canit.se> writes:

> hi,
>
> i have a chicken-and-egg-problem where i have to put a kernel image on
> a floppy but i don't have any kernel with the vnd device configured
> in.  (and no, i can't install one on a hard disk and boot from that
> since i don't have any hard disk (and no, i can't boot a kernel over
> the network.))
>
> does anyone know of a way of putting a kernel on a bootable floppy
> when one doesn't have the vnd device configured?

sorry for following up on my own posting and sorry for being so
obviously drunk and wasting your time.

i just realized that i've fore-looked the most obvious thing of them
all
  mount /dev/fd0a /mnt
  gzip -c netbsd >/mnt/netbsd.gz

i got so utterly confused by all this vnconfig stuff that i didn't see
what is really happening here.

<blush>

sorry,
--linus