Subject: Re: AGAIN-2 - Appendix: does IPNAT work or not?
To: Olli <oliverko@dialup.nacamar.de>
From: Urban Boquist <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/14/1999 14:03:26
>>>>> Olli  writes:

Olli> Dear Urban I'm using ppp on demand and I'm not sure wether ip-up
Olli> is necessary.

Maybe I was a bit dense. "ip-up" is not a script to start PPP, it is a
script that is run automatically when PPP comes up. The problem is
that if you are using PPP with a dynamic IP address you must run "ipf
-y" each time PPP is restarted, to tell NAT that your IP address
changed.

This can be seen in your output from "ipnat -l":

Olli> -> List of active sessions:
Olli> -> MAP 192.168.1.2  1024 <- -> 0.0.0.0 1024 [141.30.4.242 23]

The 0.0.0.0 shows that the NAT mapping is not updated to your PPP address.

You can create a file /etc/ppp/ip-up:

---------------------
#!/bin/sh

# Update NAT:
/sbin/ipf -y
---------------------

And then run "chmod +x /etc/ppp/ip-up".

Olli> Maybe dyn.IP's do not work with ppp on demand?

I think that should not be a problem anymore, but I'm not exactly sure
when it started working, or if it works in 1.3.x.

Olli> Or is the problem fixed if I patch the kernel (like Bruce
Olli> Anderson suggested).

Yes, you may need that. Or you could try a -current snapshot (see
www.netbsd.org).

Good luck,

        -- Urban