Subject: Re: Netscape ftp upload to NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/03/1999 07:46:57
Scott R. Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com> typed:
:I am attempting to setup transfer areas for our clients via our NetBSD =
:firewall. I would like them to use the ftp syntax under say NetScape of:
:ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.whatever.com
:I seem to be able to drag off of Windows explorer to the Netscape window =
:but it tell me that the request was unsupported:
:The following error was encountered:
:     Unsupported request
:This means that:
:    This request method is not supported for this protocol.

1) This looks like a notice from Squid.
2) It looks like notice from an older version of Squid.
3) Squid versions prior to 2.0 do NOT support FTP put methods.
4) You didn't give us all the information about the situation.
5) Did you really mean ftp.whatever.com or should you have used
   ftp.example.com (or ftp.example.org or ftp.example.net)?

:Any idea how I can get a ftpd daemon that will work ? Is it a config =
:thing or do I need a different ftp daemon.

Either
a) Turn off your proxy for FTPing when you want to upload.
b) Update your Squid proxy software to 2.* (2.1 is the latest release
   version).

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : (Australia) 0412 162 441