Subject: Re: Netscape ftp upload to NetBSD
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/1999 11:10:16
I'm not surprised you ran into problems with that URL. I was able to
repeatedly and dramatically crash a Win NT machine when I tried to do
non-anonymous ftp with Internet Explorer on it. Typing
"username@host.whatever" (insert real names, I didn't try it with the
':password' part) into the 'Location:' field and hitting return would
instantly crash the machine and leave a black screen. Rather stunning
I thought. My friend of course continued to extoll the merits of NT
and IE without even skipping a beat. Non-unix folk seem to just accept
crashes as a way of life.

Unfortunately I didn't note the version of NT or Internet Explorer in
use, I think the NT was the latest 'workstation' version, and the IE
was pretty recent.

-Zach Fine
czyz@u.washington.edu