Subject: Re: Netscape ftp upload to NetBSD
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@name.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/1999 12:08:35
Yeah, I too found the question ambiguous to the point of
unparseability.  However, assuming the question is:

"I am trying to setup ftp areas on a machine running NetBSD so that
Windows users can use Netscape as a drag-and-drop file transfer client
(Netscape has that capability under Windows.  I've never tried on
other platforms).  I would like users to type:

ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.example.com"

I think I may see your problem.  I believe, but am not sure that the
proper method is to use this ftp URL:

ftp://USERNAME@ftp.example.com

You then provide your password in a dialog box.  I think the
unsuppported method error message results from your providing:

"ftp://USERNAME" as the method, since it precedes the final colon in
the URL.

I am not certain of this info, but then again, I am merely a novice at
such matters.  I would suggest you have a long way to go in
investigating possible errors on the client end before you can suspect
the server.  If you do have problems with the NetBSD server (assuming
I have understood your setup correctly) you should probably begin by
reviewing relevant logs on the server.

Regards,
James Wetterau

"Perry E. Metzger" says:

> I'm not even certain that I understand clearly what it is that you are
> trying to do. "Drag off Windows explorer to the Netscape window"????
>
> "Scott R. Burns" <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com> writes:
> > I am attempting to setup transfer areas for our clients via our NetBSD fire
wall. I would like them to use the ftp syntax under say NetScape of:

> > ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.whatever.com
> >
> > I seem to be able to drag off of Windows explorer to the Netscape window bu
t it tell me that the request was unsupported:

> > The following error was encountered:
> >
> >      Unsupported request
> >
> > This means that:
> >
> >     This request method is not supported for this protocol.
> >
> > Any idea how I can get a ftpd daemon that will work ? Is it a config thing
or do I need a different ftp daemon.