Subject: CD-R, CD-RW, Travan tape-drives...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/23/1998 19:28:05
I don't suppose that any extant NetBSD release supports SCSI CD-R or SCSI
CD-RW?  What about "Travan" SCSI tape drives?

(I have v1.3; I don't know enough about how the kernel works, but assume
that one has to use the cd9660 filesystem -- at least for compatibility,
and perhaps "just because".  And, I can see that the cd9660 filesystem
rejects all write attempts.)

I assume that a CD-R, at least, would require special support.  But could
I just treat a CD-RW as a removable media SCSI disk & put a BSD FFS on it?

Re. the tape-drives, all that's said is that "most" SCSI tape drives are
supported.  Does that mean "many are supported, but some (too many to
list, perhaps?) are not"?  Or does it mean, "we've never found one that
doesn't work, but can't make absolute promises"?

Specifically, what about Seagate "Hornet" 8GB Travan tape drives?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu