Subject: None
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Salbrechter <salb@hell.gud.siemens.at>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/27/1998 12:11:06
~sPanic when trying touse a Scanner in 1.3

To: tech-install@netbsd.org

Hi all!

Last weeken I have checked my SCSI cabeling and termination agian and
tryied to get my TAMARAC scanner to work.

I can now successfuly boot with the scanner on, after doing an SCSI-Scann
from the SCSI-BISO (Ctrl-A). Now I get a Panic (VM-Fault) when runing
"scannimage -h" (from sane-0.74), on an 1.3 system.

My Questions are:

  1. Should I upgrade to 1.3.2 before looking at the problem in more
  detail?

  2. If yes, will it work to recompile the kernel with the 1.3.2
  sources and leave the other things at 1.3 level?

  3. What are the savers setings for a scanner in the Adapdec AH1542
  controller. Now I have set all device specific settings to NO for
  all devices.

My SCSI-Bus looks like this:
  CD-ROM (intern terminated)
  MO-Drive (intern not terminated)
  AHA1542 (not terminated)
  DAT (extern not terminated)
  Scanner (Extern terminated)

I think it dosen't matter, but I get strange error messeages from my DAT
(something about overlapping commands), if I try to erase tapes
("mt -f /dev/rst0 erase"). Writing and reading works fine (using tar).
Btw. I got a similar error message, the time I tryed to read a tape written
on a defect DAT-drive (looks like the head was been rotteded; it couldn't
read back old onw tapes or tapes written elesewhere, but can read back it's
own tapes well).

Tanks for reading this

Bernd Salbrechter