Subject: Re: Basic networking help needed
To: None <arto.huusko@pp.qnet.fi>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/26/1998 22:18:40
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:46:37 +0300, you wrote:
>I have two computers running NetBSD 1.3.2, an Amiga 4000 and a Pentium
>[...]
>The  Amiga  is  also connected via modem to Internet using ppp.  These
>both  networks  work  fine but I would like to gain access to Internet
>from the PC when Amiga is connected to 'net.

Unless you have valid Internet IP addresses on both the Amiga and the
Pentium, you must run the Amiga as a router with IP-NAT.=20

It's well described in an IP-NAT how-to at
http://radon.moof.ai.mit.edu/~armenb/ipnat.html (also linked from
http://www.netbsd.org/ under documentation).

If you just want the Amiga to do plain old subnet routing (with both
machines having valid fixed Internet IP-addresses), you must run
routed(8) on the Amiga (AND compile a kernel for the Amiga with option
GATEWAY - that's necessary [but not enough] in all cases).

Anders