Subject: Re: st0: Target Busy
To: Jonathan Marsden <Jonathan@XC.Org>
From: Marinier, M. Claude, G. <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/22/1998 10:17:54
This problem is related to the 'erase' operation which returns before the
tape drive is available. Using 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' fails with the same
error as the 'dump'. I could still use the status request by putting it in
a loop until it succeeds. I have chosen instead to remove the 'erase' from
the script since it is not necessary to erase the tape before writing to it.

Still it would be nice if the driver handled this situation more elegantly.

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> On 16 Oct 1998, M. Claude Marinier writes:
>
> > I am having trouble dumping to tape. NetBSD and dump should be able to
> > deal with slow tape drives by waiting for them. Can anyone help?
>
> I have no solution, but I can confirm the problem, though here is is
> rather intermittent.  Interestingly, we also use an Archive Python
> jukebox drive and an Adaptec AIC7xxx SCSI controller...

Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675
3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0Z4         http://www.dreo.dnd.ca