Subject: Re: df doesn't show update informations
To: Dante Profeta <dante@mclink.it>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/12/1998 10:45:02
On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 02:25:02 +0200  Dante Profeta wrote:

> I noticed a strange thing with df.
>
> I deleted a very huge file which was using about 60% of a partition
> space.
> After a while I did re-run df to see how much disk space I saved, but it
> didn't show me updated informations. It still showed a 90% of partition
> usage.
> I guess this is due to the file system caching mechanism... so, is it
> normal? Is there a way to force df to flush the cache?

Was this a log file for an active daemon?  If you remove a file while
a process still has an open file descriptor to it, the file continues
to exist.  Once the process that had the file open exits, the file
will disappear.  Something like lsof (it's in the package collection I
believe) will help you track down what processes have what files.

Simon.