Subject: Re: Save me from myself?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Kevin Sullivan <ksulliva@psc.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/30/1998 08:56:18
--==_Exmh_-54053461P

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 22:59:46 EDT, Mason Loring Bliss says
>To wit, when I boot, I get a LILO: prompt, and what looks like the beginnings
>of the Linux kernel comes up. When I installed Red Hat, I told it to use the
>master boot record, and it did... Is there any way I can now purge LILO
>completely and get back to how things were before this fit of lunacy took
>hold of me? It looks like installboot failed to write anything into my
>master boot records. "installboot -v biosboot.sym /dev/rwd0a" seems to do
>its thing, but it evidently doesn't. I'm resorting to booting off of a
>floppy for the nonce.

Installboot should do the right thing if the "a" partition starts at sector
0.  If not, then you have a few options:

1)  Install Win95/98.  It will happily munge any boot loader already
installed, whether you want it to or not.  (This option is not recommended.)
2)  Boot with a DOS floppy and run "fdisk /mbr".  What, you don't keep a
disk image of a DOS 6.22 boot disk with fdisk, format, pfdisk, etc?  No
problem, I can make mine available.
3)  Install another boot loader (I prefer OSBS2).
4)  Under NetBSD, "fdisk -i" is supposed to fix this (I've never tried it).
It will also clear out your FDISK partitions, though, so be sure you write
them down so you can re-enter them with "fdisk -u".

	-Kevin

--==_Exmh_-54053461P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNhIqcX4qeMKIUCpVAQElSgP/fFyhO2AXXUBS6CBbIAwBsLaafDKOkUzL
FRhNedkz9B75o6V4J7iLN3vsn+RfPnhQyVW+xhNjgWUW/WdparyMmBIle2MQrc4R
eQgl8s/r45jn2R1Mt0jhY3ClQdmJXGTcIQIojwiYcS8U9g1x+KluGMU5qS3CgSb7
fcwgHr2zA/Q=
=fbYL
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-54053461P--