Subject: newbie stuff
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Savage <savage@2xtreme.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1998 22:40:25
Hi, all.

I'm very new to this and having a raft of problems. First, I managed to set
up a second account that can 'su' to root permissions -- sorta. I can
switch (or whatever that does), but then I cannot (for example, shutdown
(e.g. 'halt'); I need to login as root to do that, at which point I get
this annoying message that I shouldn't be logging in as root. So my first
question is, is it that bad to login as root if I am just doing it to
shutdown the computer?

Second, I can't figure out exactly how I am supposed to setup my 'user'
account (the non-root account). Specifically, I don't have write
permissions in my home directory (because it was created by root). I tried
'chown' and that didn't seem to do it. I know this sounds pathetically
stupid, but, hey! I warned you in the subject line :)

Last, for now, I tried to change my default shell to tcsh by doing several
things including alterring the password database ('chpass' or something),
but it kept saying something like "non-standard shell" and rejecting my
change (I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave). I altered the
/etc/csh.login file so that it launches tcsh, but that actually adds a
second level of shell so when I logout, I need to exit twice... suggestions?

Still it's fun to see NetBSD breathe new life into my old computer.

TIA,

Bob

Bob Savage

                        e^mail  -> savage@2xtreme.net