Subject: Re: how to set up a modem for making and recieving calls
To: Jim R McClarty <James.R.McClarty@wheaton.edu>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/1998 23:33:05
In message <Pine.ULT.4.02.9809191706470.14438-100000@david.wheaton.edu>, Jim R
McClarty writes:
>I am new to BSD but not so new to unix how can i set up my modem to answer
>calls as they come in so people can get on our network and how could I set
>up my modem to call out.

Well, you'd generally use something like 'getty'; the traditional answer
for question 1 is "set the modem up to answer calls, hang up on loss of
DTR, and not echo anything ever, and run getty".  The traditional answer
for question 2 is "put an entry in /etc/remote, or use cu".

I'm not sure how good NetBSD is at bidir serial ports these days; different
Unicies have different ways of doing that, and I've never needed it.

-s