Subject: Re: PC98, what is it?
To: Robert Alexander Baxter <alex@santa.asf.alaska.edu>
From: P. E. Jareth Hein <jareth@camelot.co.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/13/1998 17:18:17

Robert> P. E. Jareth Hein wrote:

>> PC98 would describe a line of computers by NEC here in Japan.  For
>> a long time NEC built 88xx and 98xx computers that were semi-PC
>> compatable (different bus, BIOS and video).  There are versions of
>> Linux and FreeBSD that run on them.

Robert> That sure is interesting... can you tell me what kind of bus
Robert> PC98 computers have?  And what is different about how they
Robert> implement video?

I really don't have that information... (my employer got rid of our
last 98s 3 years ago, and I was never in the section that used them or
programmed 'em...).  I'm not sure there was much hardward difference
between the ISA bus and whatever the 98s used, but the card form
factor was almost square...  Perhaps NEC was trying to maintain its
virtual monopoly? <grin>

The line is basically dead, with a single model still built for legacy
apps.  I believe Epson still sells a software emulator for 98 programs
to run on x86 standard clone machines, though.

--
Jareth Hein              | jareth@camelot.co.jp      | $B%O%$%s(B $B%8%'%i%9(B
Toolsmith & Program lead | http://www.camelot.co.jp  | $B3+H/It%A!<%U(B