Subject: Netbsd Boot Problems during Installation on Amiga
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: B. Bogart <bbogart@iname.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/1998 16:47:34
Hello,
I am installing Netbsd for the second time (Hard drive died) and the only way
i can get it to boot is with this command:

loadbsd -apZ netbsd (wich gives me only 4meg of ram)

I installed netbsd1.21 without any errors but now am having some strange
problems, first off its a problem that only 4meg of Ram are availible,
expecially as the EGS Spectrum card uses 2 of that. when I use Ps I get a
message saying "segmentation error" What are these problems? I fear that i
might need to recompile the kernel with specific info on my memory? how would
this be done?

Also the installation instructions i have do not say how to mount the /local
partition, how would that be done? (I assume it was not formetted and mounted
because i never got a formatting message, and I seem to be running out of
/local space (netbsd does think it is there) even though the physical
partition is over 200meg, unless X takes up 80% of that i should have lots of
room. Also in /dev there is only sd0a, sd0e, sd0g i don't know what partition
letter /local should have but i never identified it by cylinder numbers...

Also I am installing X, rather have installed X. And am confised about the
grfmodes file. I am using the Specturm card on grf3 and a 1950 monitor. I have
got some success using the console screenmode for X, well changing the c in
the grfmodes file into a 1 and running X in -mode 1. know of anyone with a
good grfmodes file using my monitor and gfx card? I have used the one coming
with the distribution and that just displays garbage, and forced me to turn
off the system without halting. I waited for the drive to be inactive though.
Well during boot up i get a message saying my sd0a device is not clean, I run
fsck on it but it does not fix it, I have read the fsck man page but can't
understand whats happening.

Thank you for your time.

Ben Bogart