Subject: Re: Virtual Consoles
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/08/1998 18:36:56
Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.netbsd-help: 8-Sep-98 Re:
Virtual Consoles  by Michael Richardson@sande
>   If you aren't using the i386 architecture, you may have to wait for
> the next release (or grab -current) in order to get the improved,
> architecture independant wscons driver.

    Is wscons available for all architectures in -current?  I know it
exists for i386, but was not aware it existed for anything else yet.  If
only some architectures are supported, which ones would those be?

    BTW, I'd imagine this has been asked before but I had no luck
finding the answer:  What step(s) are necessary to get wscons working
with X11 on an i386?  I have pcvt compatibility on and an X setup that
works fine under pcvt, but startx failed when I tried it under wscons
(I'm pretty sure the error message said I needed a kernel with pcvt or
pccons, this was XFree86 3.3.2).  Similarly, if wscons runs on other
architectures, is anything special necessary to get X working on them?

    One comment/gripe on wscons, with pcvt it seemed (unless I'm smoking
something) that during a panic you could often switch back to the first
display and see what was happening.  wscons did not seem to do this.
Would it be possible to add this feature, or even just have it
automatically snap to the first display during a panic or entering ddb?
Oh, and the comment on the backspace key, but I know there's already a
PR on that...  =)

    Thanks in advance.

                                                          Will Ferry

 William O Ferry  <woferry@CMU.EDU> | finger: woferry@Light.RES.CMU.EDU