Subject: Re: ODBC, perl, Access
To: Andrew J Robbie <a.robbie@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au>
From: David Maxwell <david@www.fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/06/1998 16:18:58
On Sun, Sep 06, 1998 at 07:48:35PM +1000, Andrew J Robbie wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, David Maxwell wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone managed to use perl on NetBSD to use an
> > Access database on an NT server via ODBC?
>
> I think you may need to re-think the problem before you start
> using words like 'ODBC'. Do you really need ODBC, or do you just
> want some database solution? Why do you want to use Access, the
> database which forgets things? Why do you want to use perl? Is
> it because you are proficient in perl, or because you have an
> existing perl system, or because someone has told you to use perl?

Perl because it's for a CGI app, which I need on unix because be
have a 128bit SSL HTTPS server.

Access because I have a brain-dead MIS group to deal with.

ODBC because my impression was that it would be the easiest way
to mix these two.

Thanks for the message, I think I see the problem now - Access
doesn't have the functionality, and I thought ODBC provided it
(Gee, I expected too much from Microsoft...). I'll see about
moving the database to our Oracle server.

							David