Subject: Re: Starting "X"
To: None <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/06/1998 09:27:38
At 09:15 AM 9/7/98 +0900, fredfl2 wrote:
>I added the ls.so.conf file with the paths:
>
>  /usr/lib
>/usr/local/lib
>/usr/X11R6/lib
>usr/pkg/lib
>
>and I am able to start the x-windows only when I am logged on the root.
>
>When I type "startx" as a regular user, it responds with the message
>"comand not found".  How do I get it to find the command and start the
>X-windows.

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx

You need to set your path, er, your PATH.

Your PATH is set in /etc/profile if you use sh, ksh, or others. Otherwise it
is set in /etc/csh.cshrc (I think) if you use csh, tcsh, or other shells in
that family.

% man sh
% man csh

Note that the two shells have different syntax for setting environmental
variables like PATH.

Spelling nitpick:
% man X
--
Kevin P. Neal                          http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/

'You know, I think I can hear the machine screaming from here... \
"help me! hellpp meeeee!"' - Heather Flanagan, 14:52:23 Wed Jun 10 1998