Subject: RE: cryptic error message
To: None <daemond@ibm.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/01/1998 10:58:25
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 daemond@ibm.net wrote:

> I wish that were the only result of it.
>
> Shortly after I get this error message IBM drops carrier and that messes
> up my sup.  I'm working on using SLIP with IBM though and that might cure
> this pain in the rear problem.  Ever do a full sup of the source code and
> when you're 80% through the ISP bombs out on you?

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Tim Rightnour wrote:
>
> * ->On 01-Sep-98 daemond@ibm.net spoke unto us all:
> * ->#  CCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
> * ->
> * ->It means the other side never bothered responding to your request for
> * ->compression protocols. It doesn't break anything.. you just dont get
> * ->compression.  You can shut it up with noccp I think.

Try enabling daemon.debug in /etc/syslog.conf, then start up 'pppd' with
the 'debug' option. You may see that you're asking the peer to do
something it's not prepared to do. The result is that the so-called ccp
"negotiation" turns into a nag session! OTH, if you modify your starting
position to one closer to what the peer expects, the "negotiations" go
much more smoothly, and that means the whole process is less likely to
time out. A reasonable starting point would be to use "nobsdcomp nodeflate
vj-max-slots 16".