Subject: Re: new disk
To: Richard Horwood <rich@mondial.com.au>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/1998 15:52:43
> [...]
> > You probably want the -w option in there also. The default action of
> > disklabel is to try to read the label.
> >
> > Do you have a NetBSD system already up and running that you can read the
> > disklabel manpage on?
>
> Yes, but it's not especially straightforward.  I did this:
>
> # disklabel -e /dev/rwd1d
> [...edit label...]
> disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
> use "disklabel -r" to install initial label
> re-edit the label? [y]:

Ok, so maybe the error message is not so good. AFAIK -e can only edit
an already existing label, and so -w is what you want, which is what I said
earlier. You'll need a disktab entry to do this, which is why I asked you
if you had access to the man pages. If you do not you can find them on the
web at
http://www.flame.org/cgi-bin/uncgi/hman
Just enter the name of the man page that you need.

It is possible that the easiest way of getting yourself an initial disktab
entry is to ask for NetBSD's guess, which you can probably do with
disklabel -t wd1
This will output the guess in disktab entry format.

There may be an even easier way of doing all of this, but I don't know it.

	- Joel