Subject: Re: Linux vs. Solaris vs. NetBSD? I could use some help - wanna comment?
To: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/1998 09:38:37
> > I would use Solaris and examine latest BSD/OS (I have no detailed
> > info on it yet).
>
> Have you ever tried NetBSD vs. Solaris on the same box [tm]?

The reduced performace comes mostly from bloated applications, that
you can replace almost completely.

> Solaris has nothing (besides SMP) that you need.

I have addressed efficient use of SMP machine primarily;
if I buy expensive quad server, I don't want it to be 75% idle and
things like ISDN connection are non-issue (handled by external
router/firewall/whatever).

For uniprocessor, OTOH, NetBSD is on top of my list followed by other BSD's.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,