Subject: Re: Linux vs. Solaris vs. NetBSD? I could use some help - wanna comment?
To: Drew Mouton <drew@etool.com>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/1998 22:14:35

> Most of the stuff I run is standard internet stuff, plus a bunch of perl
> and some mSQL. It was only sort of by accident we became a small "ISP,"
> but we are now, so I've got to plan for it. Except for some wacky eth
> probs, these Linux boxes have been pretty stable for a couple years.
>
> Anyway, now I've got to swap in these quad-proc PPros (redundant power,
> hotswap disks, yippee!). I've got one guy telling me to go Solaris,
> because it fully supports SMP, and Sun claims their Webserver is fastest
> on the planet. But I've never admin'd a Solaris box (although we recently
> added a couple older Sparcs to the office).
>
> My understanding is that SMP under the Lin 2.0x kernel is still
> experimental; also, I feel like I only have mediocre UN*x admin skills -
> that's not my main bag - but what exp I have IS with Linux.

If your "internet stuff" has high ratio of kernel work, forget Linux.
In my experience, even newest versions don't scale at all, it is useful only
for pure user-level crunching (not combined with kernel intensive work!).
I would use Solaris and examine latest BSD/OS (I have no detailed info
on it yet).

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,