Subject: Linux vs. Solaris vs. NetBSD? I could use some help - wanna comment?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Drew Mouton <drew@etool.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/20/1998 12:19:47
Hey all,

I could use some opinions.

I've got a mixed bag of services running RHLinux for intel and alpha (two
old boxes), and recently signed a couple bigish projects that are making
me take my network more seriously. Part of this deal is we rec'd a pair
of multi-proc PPro boxes.

Most of the stuff I run is standard internet stuff, plus a bunch of perl
and some mSQL. It was only sort of by accident we became a small "ISP,"
but we are now, so I've got to plan for it. Except for some wacky eth
probs, these Linux boxes have been pretty stable for a couple years.

Anyway, now I've got to swap in these quad-proc PPros (redundant power,
hotswap disks, yippee!). I've got one guy telling me to go Solaris,
because it fully supports SMP, and Sun claims their Webserver is fastest
on the planet. But I've never admin'd a Solaris box (although we recently
added a couple older Sparcs to the office).

My understanding is that SMP under the Lin 2.0x kernel is still
experimental; also, I feel like I only have mediocre UN*x admin skills -
that's not my main bag - but what exp I have IS with Linux. Meanwhile,
I'm hearing that NetBSD has been really tweaked as a web-server (and that
Yahoo is running NetBSD - is this true?).

Ultimately, I'm aiming for the capabilities - and most importantly the
_scalability_ of a bigass ISP (even though we don't do mass-market
stuff), but next-to-nil admin time.

So...someone be willing to share some thoughts?

Drew